Saturday, October 6, 2012

Taxi!

            These last few weeks have been very busy at work especially with TV deadlines looming over. But even as busy as I am, the golden era is always on my mind. Like last year we've been having the oddest temperature fluctuations. From nice chilly norfolk coat weather one day to sticky humid weather the next. On the days cool enough to wear a wool sportcoat, I tend to default to one of my favorite vintage looks, the '20s-'30s cab driver, best remembered from Harold Lloyd in "Speedy" (1928) and James Cagney in his lesser known film "Taxi!" (1932). Cagney's later film "The Roaring Twenties" (1939) can also fall in this category as well. Those were the days when even simple cab drivers dressed to impress. A nice suit paired with a  flat cap, newsboy cap or peaked cap, the typical example of a prim and proper uniform.  Unless you call a car service, the most formal you'll see for cab drivers now is a collared shirt and chino's.

Speedy

Taxi!



This is my attempt at trying to pull off the old taxi driver look with my 1933 jacket, '30s/'40s Sears Roebuck cap, and '20s arrow tie.

                                                                                  
                                                              Some more vintage finds
 Those of you who've followed my blog may have noticed my glasses are a little too modern in comparison with the era's I like to dress. While the Shuron browline glasses I have were introduced in 1947, within the period of the golden era, I've been wearing them for a while now and thought it was time for a new look. I found these wonderful pair of lightweight bakelite glasses from around the 1920's, similar to those worn by Harold Lloyd and Vaudevillian Ed Gallagher.

1949 union tag orphan suit jacket. Gives off a '20s vibe to me. I have a hunch the original owner who had it tailored was an older gentleman who preferred the older style. 


All the way from Britain, my first 78 RPM recording of George Formby. The sequel to his popular song "Window Cleaner". I actually prefer this version, as it's got more swing to it.


                           
                                       (All old photographs belong to their rightful owners)

14 comments:

  1. Those are some swell new specs! Do post photos of yourself in them. I too have have glasses from different decades to wear interchangeably.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitley post some more photo's of them! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. Oh how wonderful. I don’t think I have that George Formby record- good job it turned up in one piece…Phew!!!
    Love your new glasses too- you have such a wonderful style : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :D I had a sigh of relief when I opened the package to find my record intact! I plan to play along with the song, it's the only Formby song I mastered on Ukulele. Might I say that you also have a wonderful style and impeccable taste! Your posts on Fedoralounge, and my recent finding of your blog has left me in a state of awe at how much effort you put into your Golden Era lifestyle! I'm thrilled to find more people my age who share the passion!

      Delete
  3. If you choose to book hotels through these agents, they will take you to a hotel and if you do not like that hotel, you may ask them to show another one. In this way you can find out the ideal hotel to stay. You will be taken in delhi to jaipur taxi taxi and there is no need for you to pay the taxi fare as it is usually paid by the agents. Similarly there is no need to give any money to the agents as they get their commission from the hotels. Many cheap hotels are found in Pahar ganj and Connaught place region.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are many individuals that want to relocate from one place to another. They hire the adept services of movers pimple saudagar to move their home without any hurdles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saving money on travel is not that difficult and painful. With little dedicated efforts and thorough research, savings can easily be made. Saving money on travel is all about preparation and planning. The more time you give to plan your vacation, the more time and research you can put into finding the best deal. find this

    ReplyDelete
  6. Photography is both a visual and tactile art form. Images can be taken by anyone and used in a variety of functional and artistic ways. Taking, editing and using images is a great way to enhance the learning experience for children of all ages. Here are several tips on how photography can be used to enhance the classroom and learning experience. Social Stratification

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have travelled quite a bit over the years, and not once have I ever considered employing the services of a travel agent, yet surprisingly only a few years on, I am one! So I thought it only right that I should write an article on the pros and cons of using a travel agent. رحلات جزر فرسان

    ReplyDelete
  8. We all like to travel and we travel for many different reasons. However, we like to travel in our preferred way. The costs of traveling vary greatly with each travel style. Be aware that value can be achieved in all styles of travel with the right opportunities. It is not unusual for travelers to choose alternate styles of travel for different experiences. learn more

    ReplyDelete
  9. We all like to travel and we travel for many different reasons. However, we like to travel in our preferred way. The costs of traveling vary greatly with each travel style. Be aware that value can be achieved in all styles of travel with the right opportunities. It is not unusual for travelers to choose alternate styles of travel for different experiences. Luchthavenvervoer Zaventem

    ReplyDelete
  10. Up to all these treatment room displays and also events usually are lovely to wait, unless you pre – guide a person's solution, you possibly will not get the very best expertise in them. Just what help complete you obtain after you pre – e-book the ticketed within virtually any present of the metropolis you are in? One, you'll gain steps for success access into your concert lounge which means it's not necessary to climb onto long queues regarding with – website arranging just before obtaining towards you to the treatment room corridor or even concert building. A couple of, these seat tickets are created to possibly ensure that you get the opportunity to sit down throughout your selected seat as well as offer you the greatest take a seat position you can actually see the stage incredibly well. Ultimately, these ticket accompany in – setting up gains like servings of beverage during the stream with the show. have a peek at these guys

    ReplyDelete
  11. We all like to travel and we travel for many different reasons. However, we like to travel in our preferred way. The costs of traveling vary greatly with each travel style. Be aware that value can be achieved in all styles of travel with the right opportunities. It is not unusual for travelers to choose alternate styles of travel for different experiences. Day Trip from Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  12. This blog is so nice to me. I will keep on coming here again and again. Visit my link as well.. Packers and Movers Mumbai to Gwalior

    ReplyDelete