Sunday, November 18, 2012

Snap Your Cap

This post will be the usual mish mosh format.

First I'd like to catch up with some of the garb I've been sporting for work the last few weeks.

With the weather becoming unusually cold for this time of year, I've been sporting my new shawl lapel cardigan I picked up from Old Navy. While it's only about 55% wool with a synthetic mixture and a little too long in certain measurements I love this sweater and highly recommend it! It really compliments the "classic animator" look I try and attempt. 

Though Halloween was practically cancelled due to the hurricane, me and my coworkers did get to have some spooky fun at a party thrown by our bosses. Costumes were mandatory, and after racking my brain trying to figure out what to be on such short notice, I went with an idea I had since last Halloween, a steampunk army engineer.


Nothing super special about my costume. It's really just a mish mosh of some World War Two gear I got several Halloweens ago, with my dad's Vietnam army shirt from around 1970, a couple pocket watches, tweed pants, leather gloves, real glass and metal goggles, and a cheap costume civil war union cap. Though being at a cartoon studio, I kind of wished I went as a cartoon character like I did last halloween. Anyone remember Chuck Jones' "The Dover Boys" (1942)?


Now I'd like share some recent hat finds.

First this tweed flat cap, made by Empire Caps. The little belt on the back says '50s to me, though I'm not entirely sure when that came into vogue exactly.


                                Maybe it's because I'm a New Yorker, but I love the logo on this cap!
 The belt on the back looks almost functional with the extra material, unlike some other caps I've seen where it's just a short piece of material with a buckle sewn to the back. I think this more realistic belt is because it's custom made, rather than ready to wear.


Next is a real pearl of a fedora.

A '40s/'50s Dobbs fifth avenue in virtually near mint condition. It even came with the original hat box (pictures later)
                                     Nice and tall 4 3/4 inch crown with a nice big brim.
 Virtually mint condition, probably one of the cleanest vintage hats I've ever own.



Now that my blog is finally up to date, I can make my future posts more organized and simple!
Until then, enjoy my current music obsession. Harry "The Hipster" Gibson perfomring, "Piano Boogie Jump"


No comments:

Post a Comment