Sunday, July 21, 2013

World Fair Obsession

Ever since I saw the "World's Fairs of the 1930's" exhibit at The Museum of the City of New York, I've had new obsession with the NYWF memorabilia and have since obtained a few themed collectibles.

I had seen one of these bakelite Trylon and Perisphere salt and pepper shakers in a local antique store and immediately wanted one, the store's price was a bit too inflated so I found this one eBay for more than half the price after shipping.

The next bit of memorabilia is this folding chair cane hybrid known as the "Can-O-Seat". An acquaintance of mine who is also very much into all thing vintage also had one and inspired me to get my own, though mine is in nowhere as good condition as his.


 Next is this photo I found at a recent antique shop. At first I thought it was just a regular train at a station station, but then I noticed the top of the Trylon behind it and knew instantly where the photo was taken! I'm a steam engine fan, but you just can't beat art deco diesels.

The last item is not an official World's Fair item, but the sphere designs made a coworker think "world's fair" and I figured it from the style and material that 1939 seemed about right for it's era!


I plan to slowly increase my world's fair collection, and by slowly I mean at a snails pace ha ha! So little room when you live in a city you know!

 
As for the my latest in favorite tunes, I finally watched "The King's Speech" a few weeks ago and took a liking to a song played on the king's Gramaphone. "Who's Been Polishing the Sun"

No comments:

Post a Comment