Saturday, July 27, 2013

Memento MoMA

I took a trip the Museum of Modern Art a few weeks ago to get cultured and inspired. While I'm in the cartoon business, I'm also a lover of modern art, which shares it's period with the Golden Era. In today's post I'll be sharing some of my favorite pieces at the museum. Maybe you followers will get inspired too!

                                                The Three Musicians (1944) by Fernand Leger
Gibraltar (1936) by Alexander Calder, my favorite sculptor. 
Untitled (1965) by Bruce Nauman. I liked this a lot because it reminded me of those Art Deco sconces that filled the walls of movie palaces and nightclubs.
                                   I See Again in Memory My Dear Udnie (1914) by Francis Picabia
To Be Looked at (from the Other Side of the Glass) with One Eye, Close to, for Almost and Hour (1918) by Marcel Duchamp, well known for the painting "Nude Descending a Staircase, No. 2" amongst other works of Dadaism.
                           Unique Forms of Continuity in Space (1913) by Umberto Boccioni
                                                     The Empire of Light, II (1950) by Rene Magritte
Last photo of the post is one by the famous Piet Mondrian. There were several pieces of his work to in the exhibit, but this one is a personal favorite of mine. "Broadway Boogie Woogie" (1943). Love that title! Felt a little under dressed but it was just too humid for a jacket that day.
I learned of this painting from my old college professor,animation historian, veteran animator (he started working at Terry Toons in 1949) and a legend in his own right, Howard Beckerman. He was inspired to reference it for an animated cartoon he did for Paramount back in 1967 called "The Trip", which can be seen here! Features some nice little Boogie Woogie numbers.
Hope you enjoyed a taste of culture ha ha! Will be getting back to the topic of vintage menswear in the next post so stay tuned all you vintage lovers out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment